Monday 16 February 2015

Time To Step Up

After a disastrous campaign so far in the championship, Cardiff City enter the crunch period in the domestic season very low on confidence. Last Tuesday's dire 0-0 draw at home to fellow strugglers Brighton summed up the season. Never have I seen such a boring and un-inspiring performance from the bluebirds.
A big improvement is needed, starting with tomorrow night's game at home to Blackburn. Our visitors are on a high after a hugely impressive 4-1 victory over Stoke on Saturday in the F.A cup. However, fatigue could come into play as the bluebirds haven't played since last Tuesday. Rovers haven't won a game on the road in 9 outings, but knowing our luck, that will probably end tomorrow!
I thought our defence was reasonably solid last week, but it was our poor attacking display that let us down. We didn't create any clear cut chances and rarely took the game by the scruff of the neck. Brighton were there for the taking, it was a game that we could of got more out of, and had our tactics been more positive and attacking minded, I think we would of.
We seem scared to attack teams and risk conceding a goal in order to score one, which worry's me. The style of play is also a very concerning sign. We have players that have the ability to play fast, attacking football. I don't mind the odd long ball, but it's getting to a point where every time a city player gets the ball, I expect it to be aimlessly hoofed down the pitch.
Now is a time where we need our leaders to step up. People like Bruno Ecuele Manga, Peter Whittingham and David Marshall have to demand an extra 10% from the players around them. Every player wearing the blue and white of Cardiff City need to fight for the badge on their chest. If every player gives 100% and we still lose, then that's fine, but it's when I see players not even trying that gets on my nerves.
I don't think Russell Slade is the right man for the job, and I have no doubt that the club will go backwards until his reign ends. However, I don't think now is the time to show him the door. I would not be disappointed if I wake up tomorrow morning and finds that he has been sacked, but I would stick with him until the end of the season. I think we'll just about stay up this season, and sacking him now would put a whole  new cloud of uncertainty over the club. I think we should get rid of Slade at the end of the season, whatever league we're in.
In my opinion, we also need a clear-out in the summer. Players who aren't kicking a ball and the egomaniacs within our squad need to go.
I think that if we have the right manager and direction, we could mount a promotion push within the next couple of years. We need everyone pulling in the right direction, which I believe won't happen with Slade at the helm.
Anyway, onto the game tomorrow. In all honesty, I can't see us getting a win tomorrow. Blackburn are a very good side and we just don't look like a championship side at the moment. I don't see where we are going to score a goal. Game on game our main threat is a set piece, which really concerns me. Also, Blackburn were nothing short of brilliant on Saturday when they demolished Stoke to reach the quarter finals of the cup. They did it with star man Jordan Rhodes on the bench as well, with Joshua King netting a hat- rick alongside fellow striker Rudy Gestede's penalty.
We have a chance to pick up a few points in the coming games after tomorrow night, with games at Wigan, Huddersfield and Leeds all looking winnable. I want us to be attacking in those games and use the talents of attacking players such as Eoin Doyle, Craig Noone and Kenwyne Jones to hurt the opposition. I would prefer to try and beat teams than too sit back and hope for a draw.
The coming weeks may well go a long way to defining our season. We need everyone to get behind the team, but that works both ways. The boys in blue need to give everything to the cause.  We need a quick revival, and it must start tomorrow.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment